The Irish Data Protection Commissioner published December 19, 2013 updated cookies guidance that includes examples of consent mechanisms. The Commissioner indicated that consent can be obtained either
- explicitly through the use of an opt-in check box, or
Consent should be gained by means of
- prominent notification” displayed upon entry to a website
- Clear and comprehensive information;
- Itemized cookie types, including their purpose, e.g., preferences such as language or font, browsing and search history, tracking, session security, and use of any third party cookies; and
- Instructions on how to disable cookies.
In case of third party cookies, the Commissioner recommends that a table is included listing all cookies and the following details:
- A description of their purpose;
- Their expiry dates; and
- Links to advertising networks’ opt-out mechanisms for third party cookies. The website operator will be regarded as a joint data controller alongside the advertising network.
The updated guidance is available on the website of the Irish Data Protection Commissioner http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?m=&fn=/documents/FAQ2012/Topical_Data_Proctection_Issues.htm#cookies